Tomorrow, on April’05 the last medal event of the XVIII Winter Deaflympics in alpine skiing will be held in the alpine-skiing complex “Khvoyny urman”. Athletes will compete in slalom. Alpine skiers were having their training today.
The coaches of Russian team Valery Koshelev (right on the photo), Andrey Starikov (in the middle) and Alexander Parshakov (left) shared their impressions about the slopes of alpine skiing center in Khanty-Mansiysk.
– How do you like the conditions in Khanty-Mansiysk?
– In comparison with Magnitogorsk where we were competing a few days ago the conditions here are very different. There the temperature was between -9C and -6C. So the snow was very hard. Half a ton of salt was bought specially for the competitions to conserve the snow. But it was not used. Now we are back on the north, in Khanty-Mansiysk and it is so warm here! So, we need to apply salt on the trails. Otherwise participants – around 70 athletes – will wreck the trail. In such temperature that would be a disaster.
– Is there a chance that competitions will be cancelled?
– No, not a single chance! The trail will be “salted” in the evening, the temperature will be below zero at night and everything will be all right.
– Did you have any logistical problems while moving from Magnitogorsk to Khanty-Mansiysk?
– Everything is perfect! The equipment is with us. All athletes that will be competing tomorrow are fully equipped: skis, boots, poles, costumes. Guys are thinking positive. I hope we will show good results tomorrow.