A training seminar “Russian Sign Language” took place in Khanty-Mansiysk as a part of preparation for the forthcoming XVIII Winter Deaflympics.
Coaches, volunteers and personnel that will work on the main competitions of the last 4 years for the deaf athletes took part in the seminar.
Among those who applied for participating in the seminar are volunteers with a big experience. Lyudmila Petrova came to Khanty-Mansiysk from Perm region in order to join in with such a mass-scale sport event.
– Lyudmila, why do you feel such an interest in sport events?
– Despite of my age, I am still going in for sports. I skate almost all my life. You won’t believe, but the blades of my skates were made in 1956. When I am skating, young people are watching me with admiration. Not every retiree is even able to walk fast I an not talking about skating. I also like yoga. Besides, I am watching many active sports. Though I am not a professional athlete, I am a real fan of sport.
– Sorry for such a question, but how old are you?
– What is your profession?OK
– I am a teacher of English language. Now I work in gymnasium #1 in Kungur.
– Why you decided to be a volunteer on the Deaflympics?
– First of all, I wanted to participate in a big sport event, to assist with conducting it on a high level. This is a principle of the work of a volunteer. Besides, I wanted to take part in the Deaflympics – this is an event I could be of a big help in. I can assist people with communicating; translate their words into English language.
– Do you have any experience as a volunteer?
– Yes, I was working during the Olympic torch relay in Kungur, as well as different international forums. I also was a volunteer in Sochi, working in the information office. Besides, I participated in the World Scout Jamboree.
– How do you learn about the seminar “Russian Sign Language”?
– First I wanted to go to Formula-1 races, but this didn’t happen. Then I was told that in 2015 Khanty-Mansiysk will host the XVIII Winter Deaflympics. I found its official internet page and read there that the Centre of adaptive sport of Ugra is preparing volunteers for this event. I found the contacts of a volunteer club “Respect”, called them and joined the volunteers. NowIamlearningthesignlanguage.
– So you came to Khanty-Mansiysk at your own expense?
– Yes. This trip cost me around 50 thousand rubles. This is like a trip abroad. However, I am not feeling regret for the money spent. This is a unique chance in a life to become apart of such a mass-scale sport event, get new experience and be of a help.